If you haven’t tried an overnight bircher muesli you’re missing a seriously healthy and delicious treat. This makes 4 – 6 servings, depending upon your greedy level.
- 2 oranges
- 1 generous tablespoon honey
- 2 cups (500ml) rolled oats
- 1 cup low fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup soya milk
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple
- a handful of chopped nuts. Brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts… what have you.
- Peel the oranges, cut them across the equator, remove pips, then cut into smaller pieces and use a stick mixer or blender to liquefy them.
- Mix in the honey.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the apple and nuts – mix thoroughly.
- Leave in a cool place overnight to soak. An hour will do if you’re pushed for time.
- Grate the apple and mix in thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the sliced nuts on top and serve with fresh or canned fruit. Blueberries, apricots, bananas, rasberries and/or loganberries go well.
It’s usually served cold. I prefer it zapped in the microwave for 30 seconds to remove the chill. If you wish serve with added milk, yoghurt or soya milk.
Most recipes use fruit juice where I’ve used whole oranges peeled. Any dietician worth their salt will tell you that fruit juice is bad nutritional policy. The extra fibre in the whole fruit helps your metabolism to deal with sugar and cholesterol.
You can use any sort of milk, but soya milk provides creaminess without the fat overload of whole milk. Buy organic if you can and check the sugar content; some brands have too much added.
I particularly like cranberries, but raisins, blueberries, or any other dried or canned fruit will do the job.
In some places you’ll find Light or Lite yoghurt, give it a miss it’s full of disgusting chemicals. Stick with low-fat Greek yoghurt or, if you don’t give a stuff about fat, regular Greek yoghurt.
Keeps refrigerated for at least 3 days.
One thought on “One Wild Kiwi’s Bircher Muesli”
This was delicious! My 2 year old son scoffed his bowl and then hovered around mine stealing spoonfuls. A yummy, successful and super easy breakfast. Thanks
LikeLiked by 1 person